Quantum Field Theory
Homeworks, Tests, and Lecture Notes
Class of Dr. Kaplunovsky
All assignments, solutions, and notes linked to this page are
in TeX-generated PDF format.
Fall 2012, QFT 1 (PHY 396 K class)
- Set 1, due September 11;
solutions to problems 1 and 2,
problem 3 postponed to next homework.
- Set 2, due September 18;
- Set 3, due September 25.
- Set 4, due October 2;
- Set 5, due October 9;
- Set 6, due October 16;
- Set 7, due October 25 (Thursday);
- Set 8, due November 8;
- Set 9, due November 15 (Thursday);
- In lieu of Set 10, a reading assignment:
§4.5 of the Peskin and Schroeder textbook
about relation between the transition matrix elements M
and the scattering cross sections or decay rates of unstable particles.
Due November 20.
- Set 11: Problems 4.2 and 4.3 of the Peskin & Schroeder
textbook, due November 29 (Thursday);
- Set 12, due December 6 (Thursday, last class);
- Mid-term exam, was posted on October 25, due November 1 (Thursday).
- End-term exam, will be posted on December 6 (last class) and due December 13.
Spring 2013, QFT 2 (PHY 39L K class)
- Set 13, due January 24;
- In lieu of set 14, read about the Optical Theorem
in §3.6 of Weinberg and in §7.3 of Peskin and Schroeder;
due January 31.
- Set 15, due February 7;
- Set 16, due February 14.
A reading assignment and an easy exercise, both from the Peskin & Schroeder textbook:
- Study the two-loop example of nested divergences in §10.5.
Please read carefully, it's a hard calculation.
- Solve problem 10.2, part (a);
- Set 17, due February 21;
- Set 18, due February 28;
- Set 19, due March 7;
- Set 20, due March 21;
- Set 21, due April 4;
- Set 22, due April 11;
- Set 23, due April 18;
- Set 24, due April 25;
- Set 25, due May 2;
- Lie Agebras in Particle Physics: from Isospin to Unified Theories
by Howard Georgi, 1999, Westview press, ISBN 9780813346113.
(UT library ebook).
- Group Theory for Unified Model Building by Richard Slansky,
Physics Reports 79 (1981) pp. 1-128. (local copy)
- Monopoles, Instantons, and Confinement by Gerard 't Hooft,
1999 lectures at Saalburg, arXiv:hep-th/0010225.
Last Modified: May 2, 2013.